Global Week in Review: Scores Killed, Tens of Thousands Displaced in Malawi Floods

Nigerian Archbishop says West ignored massacre, plus more.

A Nigerian Archbishop calls out the West for ignoring Boko Haram's recent massacre, plus more.— Patrice PeckMalawi's President Peter Mutharika has declared nearly one-third of the impoverished country a disaster zone after flash flooding killed scores of people, Al Jazeera reports. At least 48 people were killed and 23,000 displaced. Homes, crops and livestock were reportedly swept away in the heavy flooding, which left some homes completely underwater. According to Elina Kululanga, Malawi's director of meteorological services and climate change, flooding started last month and heavy rain is expected to continue. President Mutharika is appealing to the international community for assistance for the East African country. The floods have also wreaked havoc in neighboring Mozambique, where a group of 25 school children were swept away on Monday and 18 others were reported missing.(Ph...
Nigerian Archbishop Says West Is Ignoring Boko Haram Attack - Western nations have been called out by a wide range of critics this week for ignoring the threat of Boko Haram and the militant Islamic group's recent massacre that reportedly killed 2,000 people. Ignatius Kaigama, the Catholic Archbishop of Jos, in central Nigeria, is the latest to accuse the West, BBC reports. In the BBC's Newsday programme, Kaigama urged the international community to show the same "spirit and resolve" it had done after the attacks in France.(Photo: AP Photo/Adamu Adamu)
Pope Francis Tours Asia - Pope Francis recently kicked off a weeklong tour of Asia, aiming to grow the Roman Catholic Church’s following "on a continent that holds 60 percent of the world's population but only 12 percent of Catholics,” NPR reports. Thus far, the pope has named the first Sri Lankan saint. Priest Joseph Vaz was canonized on Wednesday during a seaside ceremony attended by thousands of people.(Photo: AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)LRA Commander to Be Tried by ICC - According to AP, Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) rebel commander Dominic Ongwen will be brought by Uganda's military to the International Criminal Court in The Hague for trial. Ongwen has reportedly been charged with seven counts of alleged individual criminal responsibility, such as crimes against humanity, enslavement, murder and inhumane acts of inflicting serious bodily injury. Led by Joseph Kony and considered a terrorist group by many, the LRA is a militant movement that began in the 1980s as a tribal uprising. (Photo: ISAAC KASAMANI/AFP/Getty Images)

Next Gallery

12 Powerful Quotes from Black Women Athletes to Inspire Greatness

12 Photos

1 / 15

A Nigerian Archbishop calls out the West for ignoring Boko Haram's recent massacre, plus more.— Patrice PeckMalawi's President Peter Mutharika has declared nearly one-third of the impoverished country a disaster zone after flash flooding killed scores of people, Al Jazeera reports. At least 48 people were killed and 23,000 displaced. Homes, crops and livestock were reportedly swept away in the heavy flooding, which left some homes completely underwater. According to Elina Kululanga, Malawi's director of meteorological services and climate change, flooding started last month and heavy rain is expected to continue. President Mutharika is appealing to the international community for assistance for the East African country. The floods have also wreaked havoc in neighboring Mozambique, where a group of 25 school children were swept away on Monday and 18 others were reported missing.(Ph...

ADVERTISEMENT